Friday, April 11, 2008

I Am Not My Hair...

So...I went home and tried to get my hair trimmed because my ends were a little split. I was telling my dad that I wanted to try to go to my mom's stylist to see if she could cut my hair and he suggested that I let her "do" it. I said, okay, if she can squeeze me in, I would let her "do" it. She said she could take me!

Immediately I got excited! I haven't been to a hair dresser since 1991. Yes, that is the last time I had perm in my hair. I was a close cut natural girl until two years ago when I decided to make some changes in my life. One of those changes was to grow hair.

The process of growing my hair has truly been a journey. In a matter of three weeks after making my decision to grow hair, I had to find stuff to put in my hair to moisturize it. I dyed it light brown. I dyed it a shade of red. Then I dyed it blond...at least it that was my intention. I thought I was going to have a platinum blond teeny weeny afro, but what I got was more strawberry blond. Oh, well...I rocked it for a minute. It got on my nerves and I dyed my hair again to try to get to my natural color. That lasted for awhile, but my tips stayed blond. That gave me a funky look for my braid-outs, coils, coil-outs, twists, twist-outs, and my favorite Angela Davis fro. I have fallen in love with my texture and the way my hair responds to different styling techniques. I have also fallen in love with Miss Jessie's hair products! (www.missjessies.com) I don't know how to be natural without them. They have been really good for my hair.

So, I go to the hair salon and tell Melessa to work her magic. She always makes Glo look fly and I knew that I would too. So, they washed and conditioned my hair...it was very relaxing. They blew my hair dry with a brush (not a roller blow dry, but just a regular brush). After that, the straightening comb came out and I began reminiscing about spending time in my Nanny's shop. She straightened my hair and then flat ironed it. Then Melessa finally trimmed my ends...the reason for me being there:) During this time, I read and talked to her. I looked around at what was going on in the shop. I did everything but look at myself because she had my chair positioned so I couldn't see. Melessa started clicking the flat iron and before I knew it I was done and looking in the mirror.....WOW!

I couldn't believe my eyes. I grinned and thanked her for such a wonderful job. I had straight hair...and quite a bit of it. I haven't had this much hair on my head probably since I was ten years old. I went home and my mom and dad just smiled and smiled. My Nanny couldn't believe that I got my hair straightened! She used to always say, "so you still have those naps, huh?" Getting my hair done was worth it. It made my dad happy. I reminded him that this was temporary, but that I would keep it up for awhile. He knows, when it gets hot...the kinks are coming back!

The reactions to my hair have been varied. My husband just laughed and grinned when he saw me for the first time! Bear has never known me with hair and he said it was such a different look that he couldn't stop staring. My Godmother and Godsisters said they couldn't believe that I had so much hair on my head. People at work walked by me a couple of times before they realized it was me. The comments have been very positive. One comment that I liked was from a teacher at school who said that she liked my hair, but that my natural hair reflected my personality more. It has also been different to have men who used to smile and speak to me at the market, not recognize me with straight hair, while others speak more than ever.

I love my hair. Not because it's straight, but because it is versatile and healthy. My hair is like a new accessory! It is an expression of who I am and how I am feeling on any particular day. I have been keeping my hair up for the past four weeks now. It has been interesting learning to sleep on rollers again, using a straightening comb and flat iron. I had to go out and buy a brush and hair pins last weekend. I learned that I MUST keep a rain hat with me during this lovely spring shower mist that we experience every other day in northern Virginia. If I don't, I come home looking like "James Brown after he was arrested," according to my lovely Bear. He's always got jokes! Talking about "We're gonna have a funky good time!"

So, I'll keep you posted about the hair thing. In the mean time, I am enjoying my new
hair(style).

4 comments:

J Lynn said...

I am so glad that was a magical night for you because that was my desired intent. You looked great! and so did Bear! It was like you two were newleyweds again, that was nice to see.

Thanks so much for all the support and love. I love you much!

And Glo and Nick were doing their thang as well.

J

Mango Mama said...

What a journey. Girl, you're right... good hair is simply healthy hair. I recently shed years of dreadlocks and I enjoy the feel of my hair and scalp so much. Thanks so much for sharing the great photos.

Liz Dwyer said...

No hairdresser since '91??? That's really something! And here I was thinking that not going since last July was a big deal! LOL!

Tinabeena said...

I love your hair. You look like your mom when she got married.