Thursday, June 19, 2008

Summer Reading at the Library

One of my fondest memories of summer as a child is participating in the summer reading program at the Chestnut Hill Library. Every summer my mom would sign up my brother and I for the summer reading program. The program is a little different than the library programs of today where the goal is to get children to read more. This program was focused on getting children to read different genres. Each week participants were assigned to read from a specific genre. The next time the group met (the next week), each child had to share their book with a presentation. Sometimes we had to write summaries and book reviews. Other times we created dioramas or posters. The best week is when we read How-To books. Most people read cook books that week and brought in treats for their presentations. I liked the experience and exposure to genres I wouldn't normally read. So, summer reading programs are special to me.

Last year Princess participated in the Reston Library's summer reading program. She had 15 books read to her and received a coupon book for summer food and fun with the family. We're going to sign her up for this year's summer reading program next week. I am excited because this year, she'll be able to read some of the 15 required books. Yes, Princess is reading!! It is the coolest thing!

I jumped the gun with our first pilgrimage to the library today. I really wanted to read a light hearted summer book and snuck to the library this afternoon while Princess was taking a nap. I couldn't resist starting my summer reading on my first official day of summer vacation. I checked out four books - three from my Shelfari wish list and one from Jane Smiley. Since I snuck to the library and knew that Princess would fuss at me for going early (she loves our weekly outings to the library during the summer), I picked up two books for her. She was excited:)

So, I'm going to stop writing tonight even though I have ideas for about seven posts in my head, and stick my head in a book.

What will you be reading this summer?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been reading Dreams of my Father by Barack Obama since around April. I am finally down to the last 50 pages or so. Hurray! Before this book I was averaging a book a week. Barack is a very detailed writer, and I have had to skim certain chapters, but I've forced myself to finish because ultimately he has lead a very interesting life and the idea that this man could be our next president is very enticing(sp?). I'll probably pause and read some more enjoyable stuff before jumping into The Audacity of Hope. I know a few people who are struggling to get through that one now... Any suggestions about a juicy summer read???

Anyhow, I have also recently read a couple of E. Lynn Harris' books; What is the What-(D.O.L.L. bookclub read about the lost boys of the SUDAN); and FATOU: An African Princess in Harlem.

I am currently reading This is the Air I Breath (Christian Worship) and How to Be an Effective Teacher in addition to Obama.

jillybean said...

Moonchild,

Thanks for the good suggestions! I'll have to look for some of those at the library. I'm really glad you stopped by. Keep on coming and I LOVE your comments.

Jillybean