Sunday, June 15, 2008

You're the Last, My Everything!

Tomorrow is Father's Day, and as I said in my earlier post, I AM BLESSED!! I am blessed not only because I have a wonderful daddy, but I am blessed because my husband, Bear, is a fabulous daddy to our children.

Bear is nicknamed Bear for many reasons. He is big like a bear. He is protective of his family like a bear. He is intelligent like a bear. He is ferocious when outsiders invade his territory. He is also loving, gentle, and tender like a teddy bear.

Bear is a special man. When we had our first child, Princess, almost five years ago, we made a decision that I thank God for everyday. We made a decision that I would return to work after three months of maternity leave and that he would care for Princess because that was the best situation for all of us. Because of that decision, Princess is a confident, intelligent, courageous, warm, loving, creative, and inspirational free spirit. She is in looooooooooove with her daddy. Bear spoils Princess!! He spoils her with things...the girl has the best wardrobe (she has many things that I wish they had in my size!), and if she asks for it...her daddy makes it happen. He doesn't like to deny her much of anything.

Bear not only spoils Princess with things, but he spoils her with his time and love. Bear wakes up Princess every morning to get her dressed in a fun way. You see, as bubbly as you may see me throughout the day and at night, I am NOT a morning person. I wake up (to music), grumble good morning to Bear, get in the shower (while listening to music), get dressed (while listening to music) so that I can be in the right mind to get Princess to school and start her day on a positive note. Sometimes this is more of a struggle than I'd like to admit. Bear wakes up Princess by jumping on her bed, tickling her, singing one of her songs to her (he made up several songs for her when she was born), playing peek-a-boo with her, and jumping around with her like the basketball teams do before a game.

Bear takes Princess out on special dates. One day I was in the car when she had a great idea. She yelled up front from her car seat, "Daddy, let's go get ice cream when we get back...just me and you kid!" with the biggest grin on her face. Bear laughed and laughed. I asked could I go too, and she said it was okay, but she made me feel like I was messin' her date all up!

Bear not only stayed home with Princess, but he's been home with Juicy Boy too! This energizer bunny of a boy--yeah, all boy is also intelligent, active, courageous, warm and loving free spirit of a different kind! He too looooooooooves his daddy. They are buddies. They "hang out together" and enjoy each other's company.

When Juicy Boy started cruising around the house, I told Bear that he'd be walking in no time. I was excited. One day we were having one of our after dinner dance parties and Juicy Boy was standing up wobbling to the music. Bear said, "watch this," as he put on one of his favorite Jay-Z songs. Juicy Boy heard the music and started walking and clapping his hands. I was soo excited! Bear said, "What do you think we do here all day...play?" -- that is one of his famous lines:) He got Juicy Boy to walk at 9 months in his own way...and it worked.

Juicy Boy is so attached to him that when we went to a family/friend's function recently some of the older women were talking about how it's amazing how you can see the strong bond that Bear has with his children. Oftentimes, he is the one who can soothe them, get them to eat, get them to listen, or get them excited when Mommy just won't do.

I could talk about how special the relationship between Bear and our children is ad nauseam. There are times when I get my little feelings hurt because the kids want him over me. I have my little pity party and then I take a moment and thank God that this extraordinary man...the man I love...is the man that our children LOVE and call, with all the affection in the world, Daddy.

Bear you have left an indelible impression on their lives. I love you for that and for being you. Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:

The Humanity Critic said...

Great Post. Happy Fathers to all the dads holding it down.

jillybean said...

Humanity Critic, Thanks! Thank you for stopping by and welcome...