Saturday, September 6, 2008

Kindergartener's Can Do It


On Tuesday, September 2, 2008 my big girl started kindergarten at my school! Princess was sooo excited to get school supplies, select her own backpack and lunch bag for the first time. She woke up the ready to go to school on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Each day we had to tell Princess that she had to wait until Tuesday to go to school. She couldn't wait!

Tuesday morning arrived and she woke up with bright eyes. She ate breakfast while I played one of her favorite songs, "Everybody Rejoice" from The Wiz. Then we played "Superstar" by Lupe Fiasco (another favorite of hers) to remind her that she is a star (shining bright to see what she can truly be - you know I have to get my EW&F in). We got dressed and headed to school.
She grinned from the time we hit the door until we got home. She was excited to see her new teacher. She was excited to see that she knew people in her class already. She was excited to know a lot of the teachers in the building already (one of her Godmothers teaches there also). She was excited to be in Mommy's big school because she was a big girl. She was just happy! She reminded me that "kindergarteners can do it!"

I was happy too. Since I work at her school, I popped my head in a couple of times to check on her. She was so into what was going on that she didn't even see me. Princess is fortunate to have a loving and talented teacher who will challenge her academically in a warm and nurturing environment. I stopped by to spend some time with Princess at lunch time. She was eating her lunch and enjoying her new friends and school. She grinned, gave me a big hug, and told me that she was having so much fun! Just what a mommy wants to hear on the first day of school.


At dismissal she came to me with a big hug and bright eyes. Princess and all of the other students who have parents that work at the school were treated to ice cream sandwiches. One of teachers (a good friend and member of Team MBS) treated the students to welcome the new members of our school family.


It was a good day!

4 comments:

Calming Corners said...

That is so sweet. I recall my first day of KDG, I didn't want to leave my mothers side. Then I recall the first day I had to teach KDG... that is another story, but it was a fun year :)

jillybean said...

Calming Corners,

You are a VERY special person to teach kindergarten! I would have loved to be in your classroom based on the energy from your blog. What lucky children.

Mango Mama said...

Jillybean, This is so exciting--- congrats! I love to see kids psyched when they approach/embrace a transitional moment. Thanks so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy to hear that Princess is doing good at school. I also enrolled my son, Brent this year and it felt so happy for me to see him enjoying school. I'm glad that his school is very much in hygiene. My son's bad habit towards his teeth changed. Now, he's the one who wants to visit our sedation dentist (Raleigh-based) for a dental checkup. No wonder sedation dentistry (Raleigh-based) were also surprised towards my son's dental insights.