Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Few of my favorite things...

Bear and I saw this guy at a basketball game with a dyed beard and cut. Bear was a few seats down and shouted that he was "feelin' some sort of way." I shouted back that "that jawn was corny and fake." He laughed. I told him there was no rounded nape and the guy was an impostor. That is an impostor for someone from Philly!

Philly...my hometown has some wonderful things about it, as well as some wack things about it. I love it and miss going home to Philly. So bare with me or join in as I write about a few of my favorite things...

water ice (not slurpees, not slushies, but water ice...you know from the corner, or Ritas), cheesesteaks (not steak and cheeses, or steak ums...the real deal chopped up beef from Pagano's on Ogontz Avenue with American...not that wack cheez whiz!), hot sausages and soft pretzels from the vendors (oh, how I wish I could get one...all they have here are half smokes...not doing the job for me), vendors at Temple (gotcha covered for breakfast, lunch and dinner), Habersett scrapple (need I say more?), Tastycake everything and anything, "Hey use guys...", using "jawn" and not having to explain or repeat myself, "feeling some sort of way", water pronounced "wooder", Lincoln Drive, Kelly Drive, Boat House Row, telling someone I'm going to the market and them knowing I mean Pathmark, not the farmers market, Pathmark, state stores (not ABCs), strombolis (I can just taste one from Demi's on Wadsworth Ave. with extra cheese), Tahitian Treat, Franks cream soda, sneakers (not tennis or gym shoes), orange cones in the snow, the "Muslim look" beards on dudes who are not Muslim, dyed beards, wax mustaches (they work miracles in barber shops at prom time!), folks coordinating their outfits, hanging out at South Street (well you can't really hang, but we used to hold down 4th and South), parallel parking on the regular, the Plateau, Fairmount Park, the Greek (glad my godsister got there early with the Winnebago), Girls' High (232!!!)....these are a few of my favorite things.

No comments: