Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Name that tune...

I was just going through my blogroll (don't you love my lingo?!--I was looking at some blogs I like to read) and saw a post on Honey Soul Music about Droppin' Science, Greatest Samples from the Blue Note label. They did such a thorough job in their posting that I'm going to share it with you...

On February 12, Blue Note Records will release Droppin’ Science, a unique collection of the legendary label’s classic late 60s through mid-70s jazz-funk tracks, all of which have featured prominently as samples in some of the greatest hip hop cuts of the late 80s, 90s and beyond. Hip hop artists ranging from Dr. Dre to the Beastie Boys and A Tribe Called Quest have sampled Blue Note grooves by such jazz greats as Lou Donaldson, Grant Green, Donald Byrd, and Lonnie Smith. All of these original Blue Note tracks have been compiled for the first time on Droppin’ Science, which Blue Note will release as a 10-track CD, a 13-track digital album and vinyl LP, as well as individual ring-tunes that are based on the exact sampled loop.

The list of artists both sampled and sampling includes some of the most famous names in the world of jazz and hip hop, and covers a large breadth of time. In 1992, Kool G Rap used Joe Williams’ “Get out of My Life Woman” in his classic cut “Ill Street Blues;” then, nearly a decade later Jill Scott used the same sample in the song “Brotha” featured on her seminal neo-soul debut Words and Sounds: Vol 1. Landmark tracks from Brand Nubian (“Punks Jump Up to Get Beat Down”), De La Soul (“Bitties in the BK Lounge”), and Lox (“Get This $”) all feature a groove from Lou Donaldson’s “It’s Your Thing.” A Tribe Called Quest used Jack McDuff’s “Oblighetto” in their smash “Scenario.” As recently as 2001, Dr. Dre sampled David McCallum’s “The Edge” in the infamous cut “The Next Episode” which featured Snoop Dog. The list continues, with Biggie Smalls’ “One More Chance” remix and Mary J. Blige’s “Everyday It Rains” featuring a sample from Lou Donaldson’s “Whose Makin’ Love.” Blue Note’s influence has even been felt in the pop world where Madonna used a Lou Donaldson sample (“It’s Your Thing”) in her song “I’d Rather Be Your Lover,” as well as a sample of Grant Green’s “Down Here on the Ground” in her song “Forbidden Love.”

I'm excited about this album. Bear and I often play a game of name that sample. This is one of those albums that old school and new school listeners of hip hop and jazz will enjoy. I imagine playing this CD at my parent's house on a Saturday as my mom and dad reminisce on their first experiences with the music; my brother, sister in-law, Bear, and I try to see who can think of the "new songs" that used this music as samples or remix beats; and Princess and Juicy Boy dance to the funky bass and rhythm just enjoying the pure energy of the music. (oh, yeah...Juicy Boy's walking now...he takes the most steps to music...his favorites are Gullah Gullah Island and Jay-Z. I guess that tells you a lot about what's going on at our house:) Oh, this is a must for any music lover--especially a jazz or hip hop head.

Run and get yours, 'cause I'm gonna get mine!!!

2 comments:

Mama Kim said...

You killed it with the inro andthe ronnie laws jam!!!!!!!!
AAAAHHHHH

jillybean said...

girl...i can't wait to get this cd. i can imagine us hanging out talking about this all night long!