Sunday, January 13, 2008

Just my imagination...

I was taking some time tonight to look at other blogs when I saw that one of the bloggers http://mesdeaucents.blogspot.com posted a video of one of my favorite songs. I got so excited because, although this song came out in the 80's, I have never seen the video. Well, I start watching the video and I'm still feeling the song, but the video is distracting me. It has nothing to do with the song! Well...at least in my imagination. I realized that listening to music is like reading a book for me...my imagination and personal connections are much better than the movie/video.

Take a look/listen at the video to Din Da Da by George Kranz. That video is strange...and I don't like it (being sung like Larry Blackman...that jawn was my jam!). Now, take a listen to the song without watching the video...

This song has a personal connection for me. My mom threw my dad a surprise 60th birthday five years ago at the 23rd Street Cafe in Philly. It was a really good party! My dad's family, frat brothers, and friends (from childhood on up) came to salute him. In true Nichols style...we jammed. The dj was alright, but that didn't stop everyone from dancing, and forming a conga line while singing, "happy birthday to ya" (Stevie Wonder style). Daddy smiled all night long. The party wound down towards the end of the night, and the crowd got smaller and smaller. A few close friends remained as we began cleaning up. Well, the dj put on Din Da Da and all of the women in the room were able to witness a bonding ritual of black men. My dad started dancing to the song. My brother was out on the dance floor and joined in. The next thing I knew, Bear, Michael, Uncle Bill, and my Godfather all started dancing on the floor together. They were all feeling the beat and bouncing to a communal rhythm without talking. They formed a circle and one by one took a turn showcasing "their dance." It was awesome...together they were strong, graceful, creative and talented. They recognized that they needed each other to make this (life--my interpretation) work. But each of them also recognized that they were special and unique! WOOOOO! I am getting goose bumps now just thinking about this beautiful sight of Black men of all ages. So, when I hear Din Da Da...I think of that.

Now, the song was out way before my dad was 60, and this is what I used to conjure up in my head when I would hear the song. Can you see the African savanna with huts in a circle? Listen to the young, lone drummer calling everyone in the tribe to come...Din Da Da Din Doo Doo Din Da Da Doo Doo. One by one, members of the tribe come outside to see what he wants. They feel his celebratory energy and being to join in with their own expression of joy. The music begins to layer and so does the dancing. Men, women, boys, girls, old and young enjoying themselves call and respond to each other. The cacophony reaches a crescendo and then the lone maestro, noting the pinnacle of jubilation, directs the group to breathe...They all return to their huts with his lone beat and melody in their heads, and the joy of the impromptu celebration in their hearts....At least that's what I had going on in my head.

So, as you can see, this song, along with many others, speaks to me. Music makes me happy, makes me sad, makes me thankful and thoughtful. Music gets me through. Music is the background to my life experiences. Music makes me think of friends and call them up to play the song for them (Bear --Playing Your Game Baby, Dr. Moni --Michael Jackson, Ira --Sylvester, Ms. Espresso --Dr. Love, Mommy -- I Wanna Thank You Heavenly Father, Billy -- Soul Makossa, Daddy -- Doin' It to Death by James Brown, October Breeze - anything by our girls Jill and Erykah, the Dorsey Duo -- Band of Gold, etc...) Music makes me shake what my mama gave me and then some. Music lets me share my love for/with my Bear in many ways. Music moves my children (Princess has some mean moves, and can catch that beat with her neck that lets me know she is grooving! Juicy Boy has now started kneeling and waving his hands around to the beat while listening to music). Music is my life.

I still love this song, and when I hear it, I'll let my imagination run away with me.

I would have loved to be a part of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79qqorSSBtA

No comments: